Saturday, January 25, 2014

saturday devotion v1

When taking your focus off of Jesus, you lose the one thing that can sustain you. 

It's crazy that my word for 2014 is focus, because I feel that's the one thing I haven't been able to do.

Well I've been focused, but on all the wrong things.

When we take our eyes off the one who holds everything, we begin to sink into desperation, self-doubt, pity, and judgement of others. We've internally told ourselves we are better than who we really are.

Life isn't easy. It's not suppose to be. If it were, we'd all be millionaires and everyone would win American Idol. But it's not easy. And when we take the focus off of Him and put it on ourselves, it becomes almost unbearable . Man was not created to carry the weight, he was created to surrender and have the One who knows all be our Protector, Provider, and everything. 

When we give God only something, we've told Him we, our own selves, are everything. When we give God everything, He shows us that we are only something, but what a special something that is!

When I focus on me, I lose the big picture. What is the big picture? Summing it up is hard but Micah 6.8 says it pretty well...
But he’s already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don’t take yourself too seriously— take God seriously. (Micah 6:8 MSG)

Nowhere does it talk about looking to self. I've realized I have many idols in my life, but the biggest one stares right back at me in the mirror.

Today I'm challenging you to stop living for yourself and living for the only One who knows you better than yourself.

No comments :

Post a Comment

ShareThis